Often the vows are the part of the ceremony that couples require the greatest assistance with. Every couple wants to say the perfect words to each other, so I know you are likely to feeling a little pressure about this moment. But I’ll tell you, you shouldn’t be worried!
Vows can be read in the following ways:
– recited after me
– Read from my wind-proof vow booklets – I will print for you
– Read off a palm card (that I will keep handy for you)
– Memorised by yourselves, or simply spoken from the heart in the moment.
Things to think about that might help you with your vows:
– Why are you getting married?
– What would you like to promise your partner? (serious or lighthearted)
– Are there parts of your relationship that you would like to emphasise?
– Tell us how you would describe your love, your partner and your relationship
– What does marrying your partner mean to you? How does it make you feel?
– What are your similarities / differences?
– What does your future look like?
You can work on your vows seperately or together, whatever suits you best. But if you plan on working on them separately I do recommend having a conversation on length and vibe. We don’t want one partner with 3 paragraphs of heart felt promises and the other to be one paragraph of humour. Let’s get them to work together – while still reflecting your personalities.
I don’t want you going in to the writing process thinking there is a guideline to follow but here is a really basic, tried and true one if you need it:
1. Start by giving us insight into your relationship & why you love your partner..
2. What are your promises / what’s the way you want to approach marriage?
3. What would you like the future to look like?
My Cele-Pal Rach has put together a mini course to help couples with writing and presenting their vows.
She has also given me a 10% discount for my couples if they would like to purchase!
Use LOVEKISSCONFETTI for 10% off!
I’m standing here today because..
My favourite memory with you is..
In you I admire..
Because of you I am..
Because of you I feel..
I promise to always..
I promise to continue..
I love the way you..
The most interesting / wonderful thing about you is..
We work so well because..
Thank you for accepting my..
I can’t wait to..
I feel so lucky to..
Thank you for..
Below I’ll pop down a few basic vows that you can build off – don’t be afraid to take these vows, twist and change them and make them unique!
I promise to always love you, to be faithful and understanding, through all the days given to us to share.
In declaring my love for you today, as we begin our married life, I make a commitment to share my life with you. I will always be there as your partner, lover, friend and buddy as we embrace the experiences of life together. I know that my love for you will continue to grow as we enjoy our lifetime together.
Where there has been cold, you have brought warmth, where my life was dark, you have brought light. Let’s make our two lives – one life and let us always honour and respect each other.
I choose you above all others to share my life with me in marriage. I love you for yourself and I want you to become all that you can be. I will love and respect you all the days of my life.
Today I make you a promise, that from this day forward you shall not walk alone. My heart will be your shelter and my arms will be your home.
I vow to be your faithful partner in sickness and in health, I promise to love you unconditionally, to honour and respect you, to bring you comfort in times of need. I promise to cherish you as long as we both shall live. Never forgetting that this is a once in a lifetime love.